Sunday, April 5, 2009

大一國文

國文課堂---臨時教室
The photos of our classmates & the campus of Taida remind me of our good old college days.  I wrote this down just in case I forget it later.  Our memory inevitably fades when time goes by.  We had to learn 國文 or 國語 since we were a kid in elementary school.  With so many years of learning, I wonder why we need to do it again in college.  As a matter of fact, 大一國文 was one of the worst I have ever experienced.  We had a famous professor 黃得時.  He was noted for his research in some area of Chinese literature.  But his accent was really out of place.  Fortunately we were not learning the pronunciation of Mandarin, otherwise it was going to be a disaster. The worst part was that we had to study 左傳 & 戰國策.  They are so ancient & the writing styles are so out of time.   It would be much better to study some modern Chinese literature.  But for some political reason, we just couldn’t do it.  Most famous literary figures were in mainland & couldn’t be mentioned.   Those who fled to Taiwan were second rate figures at best. Some good one like 胡適 or 林語堂 went to US & stayed there until late 1950’s. Who had heard of 鲁迅, 葉聖陶, 茅盾, 老舍, or 朱光潛 in Taiwan?  All in all, 大一國文 was totally a waste of time to me.

I have to say something about 黃得時.   His ancestry was from 福建泉州.  He made contribution in Taiwan literature, especially in the preservation of 臺灣鄉土戲曲 & 兒童文學之編譯.  His unfinished work is 臺灣文學史 .  He was a professor of 台大中文系.  I have a lot of respect for him though he had some interesting behavior.  Here is what I remember about him:

1. He had some problem in walking.  I don’t know whether it was due to polio or some accidents.  His head looked bigger than normal with his body size.
2. He called roll at the beginning of every class.  As far as I can remember: 每堂課點名,風雨無阻.  To make the whole thing worse, the class started promptly at 8:00 am.  To get up early in the cold winter & ride bicycle to 大一教室 before 8am definitely was a pain in the neck. My home was near 新生北路 & 南京東路, not really close to the campus.  Here I sort of envied my classmates from southern Taiwan.  They stayed at 台大宿舍 & could reach 大一教室 in no time. Anyway, worst thing did happen to me (Murphy’s Law), my name happened to be the first one in the roll call.   I still remember Professor 黃's voice (first thing in the class): 林幸峰, 黃肇崶, … If I was not in the classroom in time, I missed the class. I think 黃肇崶 must have shared the same misery.  So once in a while, I found that I was late about 5 minutes, I simply skipped the class & murmured “Go ahead, make my day”.  I still think it is a joke to do roll call in a university like Taida. It is an insult to freshmen.  I don’t know any professor did the same in our first year classes. Imagine if 徐照 or 葉炳雲 did the same thing, the class will be over before he finishes the roll call.
3. I met a lot of freshmen from 化工系 & 机械系 in the class.   I still remember two girls named 陳滿枝 & 陳星華 (化工系).  They were pretty nice looking. I forgot all the rest.
4. His Japanese or Taiwanese accent in reading Chinese text is not very polished. For a professor of 國文, it is definitely a minus. For 左傳 & 戰國策, it is ok.   But for "康橋的早晨”, it is going to sound like evening instead of the morning.
5. 黃得時 was noted for his research in Taiwan literature.  I wonder why shouldn’t he just teach Taiwan literature for the freshman class.   I think it was really a loss for us not taking advantage of his expertise.
6. Several years ago, while I performed my annual spring garage cleanup, I encountered something unexpected, three compositions of my freshman class.   Titles of the compositions are: 自敘, 我與國文, 台大一角.   I found the last one very refreshing & valuable.   It reminds me a lot of minor details about that little corner of Taida campus---Chemistry Lab & how we performed the experiments.  In the composition, I see all those hand-written comments in red by professor 黃得時. Ah…, that was almost 49 years ago. 往事如煙,字跡依舊.

PS: The early morning class forced me to get up early & reach the classroom before 8am.  Sometime I got there way early especially in the spring time.  Once I got into the classroom & found one girl was practicing violin.  She was probably from 女生宿舍 nearby.   In order not to disturb her, I sat way back in the corner & read a book.   I remember she played some scales & some work by Bach. A few minutes later, she started playing something slow & mellow.  I recognized it was Beethoven’s Romance #2(opus 50). Although her play was not that fluent, I could follow the main theme nicely.  After a few moments, I was sort of in a dream when the music kept flowing.  I didn’t know how long the time passed before she finished the playing & put the violin in the case.  She carried it in her hand & walked toward the door.   I kept watching her & finally decided to say hello to her.  But I was way back in the classroom & couldn’t catch her in time.  She simply disappeared from my eyes in no time. Since that morning, I had several occasions in that semester to be there early enough to catch her.  But she never showed up & I had never seen her again.

3 comments:

markyang said...

從唱「Seven Lonely Days」的小英語女老師,到國文課堂上美麗的女同學,到拉小提琴的台大女生。如果我們也能感染Lin的多情,大學的生活一定會更多姿多彩。君記否,在陽明山郊遊的時候,林樣為那群台大的小護士們主持「擰信封」遊戲。信封裡的便條叫你找一個「怕電的男孩」,找一個「怕血的女孩」,賺得了多少女的歡笑。
每當我們回味這些少年情,或戀愛中的一顰一笑,我們都會到四五十年前。「One day when we were young in one wonderful morning in May」,甚時候唱,都是一樣的心情。

Mark Lin said...

感謝照崑兄的好記憶,我幾乎忘了大一陽明山的郊遊. 那一次我們是在陽明山的台大招待所吃午餐. 我們請了護理系的一些女同學. 我記得有一個節目是我主持的,節目名稱是“限時專送". 照崑兄叫"擰信封"遊戲,意思很接近而富有幽默感,不得不佩服他的才華. 在這個節目裡,我準備了二十幾個信封,從最小的到最大的,大的信封包小的信封. 每個信封都有一個地址. 不过這個地址不是号碼或街名而是一組送信規則(delivery instruction). 譬如”送给頭髮最時髦的女生”或”身價一万三千的男生”等等. 最後一個信封當然是最小的一個,它是送给一位女生,裡面有一封信,上面寫的是:“我是這世界上最幸福的人兒,我要在此高歌一曲". 我已經忘記是那一位女生拿到和她究竟是唱那個曲子. 照崑兄提到“One day when we were young in one wonderful morning in May…”,這是 Johann Strauss Jr 的一首名曲. 我想如果那位女生唱這首曲子將是最適合不過了. 這是大一的曰子,我記得陳慶瀘和沈安邦也在. 所以大二才轉到电机系的同学是不知道這回事的. 這也使我想起一些轉出电机系的同學: 廖益亨,彭義平,鄭以禎…. 我們申机系有一半是從海外来的,我不記得他們有沒有参加這次郊遊. 也許盧遂全可以回答這個問題.

PS1: 陽明山本名草山. 小時候家住台北,我对草山很熟悉. 不知那一年忽然變成陽明山. 草山比較有草莽氣,陽明山當然是記念王陽明,政治意味很濃. 建中同学大概还記得校歌:東海東,玉山下,培新苗,吐綠芽…”. 其实另外有一歌詞是”草山高,淡水清,芝巖麗,碧潭明…". 多年前碰到一位高我們四屆的建中學長(也是台大电机系),他給我看舊的校歌歌詞. 我到現在还記得. 比較一下,你會覺得舊的歌詞比較有台湾味道.

PS2: 我一向是寫英文夾中文, 這次改变文体是中文夾英文. 我發覺難易程度差不多,不同的是中文輸入需要改正的比較多,所以比較費時. 如果中文輸入的軟体和硬体有改進的話,這個困難會大大減少.

PS3: "身價一万三千的男生" 當然是給萬三同學. 還記得中國近代史教授張基瑞說:怎麼不是萬一呢? "萬一" 翻成英文是 one out of 10 thousand chance, very low probability. 張教授大概也沒想到說不定他有兩個哥哥呢!

markyang said...

「限時專送」比「擰信封」切題多了。我一直想不起那個節目的名稱。陽明山本名草山,是國民政府撤退到台灣時,老蔣要在草山下榻。有風水師曰︰「不可,落草為寇。」於是改了山名。現在還有學科學的人深信風水,不可思意。我在台灣某大學時,就聽到他們在蓋電機大樓,門前本來預備建有一條長走道,有風水師曰︰「不可,此乃一箭穿心也。」只好打彎。
萬三沒有哥哥叫萬一萬二,他有一個哥哥叫萬里。他的弟弟倒是叫萬四。他當年台大醫科不進,到美國方知醫乃獨占行業,就「投資收益比」而言,「萬般皆下品,惟有讀醫高」。於是「待從頭收拾舊山河」,在 Emory 拿了一個MD。我們班上子女唸醫的占多數。哎,「條條大路通羅馬。」這一代到不了迦南地,推給下一代。現在台灣聯考第一志願,几乎清一色醫科。不似我們當年。
「事非經過不知難。」林兄知道中文輸入之不如英文方便了。上次我們還辯論未來的世界語言,中文在computer age前途大不樂觀。
有一幅對聯「書到用時方恨少,事非經過不知難。」對得好極了。對聯也算中文的特色。