Sunday, May 17, 2009

Chronicle-I

I found some old notes in my garage lately. Some of them relate to our good old college days. I list them in chronological order. Perhaps you can use the dates & events as a reference for nostalgic purposes. I also include some books & movies I read or watched in that period of time. This sort of indicates some cultural background we lived in then. The date is listed in month/day/day of week (0 means Sunday).

1960
7/29/5-7/30/6 大專聯考甲組: 國文, 英文, 數學, 物理, 化學, 三民主義. 六門科目分兩天考. 炎炎夏日, 孜孜學子.
8/15/1 閱讀 “富蘭克林自傳”, 楊景邁譯, 協志工業叢書
8/21/0 閱讀 “約翰克利斯多夫” (Jean Christophe), Romain Rolland, 黃楊譯
8/26/5 Read 地球概論, 王安宅著, 商務印書館
8/30/2 大專聯考甲組放榜, 電机系最低分 419. 錄取大約 30人. 物理系最低分 427. 醫預科最低分 440. 狀元: 高鷹, 508分
Remark:
吾友徐惠康考了439分, 一分之差飲恨, had to go to 高雄醫學院,. He cried for a week. 我想他大概栽在三民主義上面 . He & I were in the same boat, 我的三民主義衹考 53 分. I got hold on him early this year. He is now a heart surgeon working at the unversity hospital of NY State Univ at Buffalo near Niagara Fall.
8/31/3 我很高興考上台大電机系. 去大同戲院, watched movie "鴛鴦譜", Description of the movie: 青年人如膠似漆, 中年人互相猜疑, 老年人互相掩飾. Don’t know the English title.
9/5/1 Read "傲慢與偏見" (Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austin)
9/9/5 Read Bertrand Russell "世界新希望" (New Hope for a Changing World, 1950), 張易譯, 國立編譯館
9/15/4 中央日報第一版: 蔣總統說“共匪在三年內必定崩潰”
9/17/6 台大入學註冊, 李純儀 &卞昭廣 捷足先登 (1 & 2), 陳英亮 was before me & Amo was behind me (my number is 30). I didn’t notice that Amo was behind me. He had to be very quiet on that day.
9/22/4 參觀台大工字院的各項設備. I was surprised that 台大電机系 was very spartan. I didn’t see anything in the Wireless Lab (無線電實驗室). It was really wireless.
9/29/4 第一天大學生活
Remark:
I had no further record on this day. However, I remember either this day or the day before, we were in the classroom in a very casual manner. I noticed one lady sat in the far corner of the room & watched us. However, while we were shooting bulls in the room, not one of us went to greet her or asked her anything. Later we knew that she was Dr. Kuller’s wife. She probably was curious about what kind of kids we were & might be disappointed that nobody greeted her. This showed how boring & woody we were in those days.
10/3/1 在腳踏車棚碰到蘇岳雄. He is 4 years senior to us & just ready to graduate from Taida.
Remark:
蘇岳雄 later became a known researcher on Fault Tolerant in the field of computer science.
11/4/5 Chemistry lab, a new experience
11/5/6 Play tennis, (軟式).
Remark:
I had no record as to whom I played with. Must be with 蔡宗元.
11/6/0 Read 盧梭懺悔碌 (Confession, by Jean J. Rousseau)
11/8/2 Physics lab
11/12/6 Read “Sailor Uncle”, from English textbook
11/14/1 五省立聯合迎新晚會, watched movie “Anne Frank’s Diary”(安妮少女日記)
11/15/2 台大校慶
11/19/6 遠東戲院, watched movie "兒子與情人”, D.H. Lawrence 之名作 “Son & Lover”
11/22/2 趙麗蓮 學生英語文摘, 早上七點半電台廣播, very popular program among college students
11/23/3 Textbooks used: General Physics--Sears/Zemansky; General Chemistry---Linus Pauling
Remark:
I had the chance to review these two books sometime ago. Sears’ book is not good compared to the textbook my daughter used 12 years ago. Pauling’s book is superior. Pauling wrote “Vitamin C & Common Cold” in 1969 & became very controversial. He also is the only person got two Nobel Prizes in Chemistry & Peace (he was anti-nuclear activist & used to live in Palo Alto near Stanford).
11/27/0 昨天考完中國近代史. 到國際戲院看電影 ”天使之歌”. I have no record of English title.
12/3/6 Went to movie “Song Without End”, 李斯特傳
Remark:
電影 started with Piano Concerto #1 by Franz Liszt, very impressive. 攝影(cinimatography) by 黃宗霑. This is a very good movie. You can check it out from Netflix. You can also listen to the famous Hungarian Rhapsody in the movie. I remember two or three months later, 洪輝雄(brother of 洪俊雄) held a concert in 中山堂. He played the same piece Hungarian Rhapsody in that concert.
12/7/3 今天考了投影几訶, 牛力小試,滿載而歸.
12/9/5 化學考試
12/13/2 物理實驗, 和助教爭吵. 物理期中考
Remark:
I found the quality of 助教 (this particular one) not very good. Most of them did not have the student’s interest in mind. This one is particularly bad: 幫忙不足, 刁難有餘.
12/18/0 Went to watch 許清浩 芭蕾舞團表演 "Symphony Fantastique (幻想交響曲, Hector Berlioz)", 第二樂章, The Ball (舞會).
12/24/6 三民主義課點名. Murphy’s Law: 我不在場.
Remark:
I didn’t know 三民主義 class also called the roll. 宋嘉賢's reputation was no match to 黃得時. But on the roll call, he was just as notorious as professor Huang. 越是不熱門的課,越需要點名.
12/31/6 49 年過去了,多災多難的中華民國進入五十大關
Remark: 光陰似箭, 時光流轉, 今年變成中華人民共和國進入六十大關. Must be the time for meditation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark Lin.. Is this you who went to visit NTPU few months ago? - Pierre

Mark Lin said...

Hi, Pierre,
I did not visit NTPU in the last few months.